Thursday, March 4, 2010

Beautiful Child...




There are certain periods in our life when we are touched and truly inspired by someone or something which moulds our character in a particular direction. You think, breathe and live with this person. This source of inspiration could stem from anywhere, it could be real or imaginary, important or trivial. It is not the nature and quality of this inspiration but what it does for us. It would be an understatement to say that I love books; some books in particular have a special place in my life. One of them is the Anne or The Prince Edward island Series by L. M. Montgomery. These childhood favourites of mine were a particular treat. Anne’s indomitable spirit was a foil to every insecurity I might have had. Simple in their writing style these books nevertheless managed to transport me into a magical world where everything was beautiful and everyone lovely. Given below are a few quotes from the books which will give you a glimpse into a favourite place of mine:

"Marilla, isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?"

"It's so easy to be wicked without knowing it, isn't it?"

"And people laugh at me because I use big words. But if you have big ideas you have to use big words to express them, haven't you?"

"Next to trying and winning, the best thing is trying and failing."

"You'd find it easier to be bad than good if you had red hair... People who haven't red hair don't know what trouble is."

“My life is a perfect graveyard of buried hopes.” That's a sentence I read once and I say it over to comfort myself in these times that try the soul.

“I thought nothing could be as bad as red hair. Green is ten times worse.”

“I know I chatter on far too much... but if you only knew how many things I want to say and don't. Give me SOME credit.”

“I like people who make me like them. Saves me so much trouble forcing myself to like them.”

8 comments:

  1. I loved that book as well. And it's been years since I've read it. I will go to my bookshelf and dust it off, I think the time has come to re-read my old friend.
    Thanks for the reminder!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a girl, I adored that book as well. My friend Sandy and I spent untold hours pretending we were Anne (her) and Diana (me). We would ride our bikes down Cemetery Road, stop at the roadside culvert with its trickle of water over rocks and mud, and pretend it was our Lake of Shining Waters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "My life is a perfect graveyard of buried souls."

    That sentence is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing that!

    And thank you for your comment on my guest post over at Cheryl's page! You're right, I should've run faaaaar away the moment I spotted those white shoes, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know that I have been able to back bring such nice memories for you guys...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading the trilogy of Ann of Green Gables to my daughter now.

    It is beautiful on so many levels.

    I love that my daughter loves it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there it's great to know that your daughter will grow up reading such lovely books...btw in case you didn't know there are at least two or three more books to complete that series you know, after Anne gets married.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is how much I loved these books: I named my daughter "Anne" (with an e!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooo wow that's what I call true devotion!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear what you have to say

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails